Date:      26 Sep 1996 14:18:08 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Amusing

------- Forwarded Message

From: Bala Rajagopalan <braja@bellcore.com>
To: ion@nexen.com, qosr@newbridge.com, rsvp@isi.edu
Subject: Totally irrelevant
Sender: owner-rsvp@isi.edu

This may or may not be relevant to this mailing list, so pardon
me if I'm taking your precious time away from the endless productive
discussion on multicast non-scalability.  Anyway, the reason
I myself am taking time off from reading all the enlightening mail
on multicast non-scalability is to share with you my recent experience
in Tokyo. I was outside a Shinjuku hotel, trying to figure out a
way to get to Akihabara, the electronics district. I didn't have a map
and didn't know whether
to approach someone for directions and get entagled in the
intricacies of sign language or what. Suddenly, I found myself
confronted by a short, bespectacled Japanese man in Jeans and a
T-Shirt (which read "NHRP Sucks").

He asked me, somewhat brusquely, "You need help?".

I was glad there was a native I could talk to. "Yes," I said.
"Do you know how I can get to Akihabara?"

He seemed annoyed. "Why the hell are you in Tokyo if you don't know
your way?," he demanded.

"I don't know...", I stumbled. I had the naive impression that the
Japanese were polite and this fellow was intimidating me.

"If you don't think you don't know, what's the point?" he asked.

I tried to figure that one out, but couldn't. "Listen," I said.
"Could you kindly tell me a way to get to Akihabara?"

"I know how to get there, and I can prove that it's the best
possible way," he said. "How come you are completely out of date?"
he asked.

"Sorry," I said. "I'm new here and..."

He cut me off in the middle. "Go and read an introductory street
map of Tokyo," he said. "Then talk to me. You are wasting my time."

At this point, I started feeling guilty that I had prepared
poorly for this trip. "Yes, it's my mistake," I agreed. "Left the map in
my hotel. Now, could you please tell me where the nearest subway
station is?"

"Your statement is completely meaningless," he said.
"How do you know you can go to Akihabara if you take the subway?"
he asked.

"Well, I'm sure I saw a subway station marked Akihabara in my map..."
I trailed off.

"You're sure of nothing. I've proved that I know the best way to
get to Akihabara. Why don't you accept it?" he asked.

"Ok," I said, "I accept that. Now, tell me how"

"Ah.." he said with satisfaction. "You agree you don't know what
you're talking about. Now listen," he said sternly. "I won't repeat
this again and again. This is the best way to go to Akihabara.
I've proved it." he paused.

"Go on," I said.

"Stop a cab. Get in. Say to the driver 'Akihabara'. That's it."

I was stupied for a few moments. "But I don't want to go in a cab,"
I protested feebly. "It's too expensive.
Isn't there a bus or a train to Akihabara?" I asked.

"You don't know what you're talking. I've proved that bus is
not a scalable way to travel. Train is even worse. You
have to travel multiple hops," he said.

"I don't mind..." I was saying, but he gave me a look
that froze me.

"I've showed the best way to get to Akihabara. Why
don't you accept it? You don't know what you're talking
about," he said.

"May be you're right," I said, trying to end the conversation
politely and get away.

"I know I'm right," he said. "May be YOu're completely confused.
Why don't you accept that?"

"Sure," I said and started to push off. "Nice meeting you
and thanks for your help," I said.

"You're lucky you spoke to me," he said with modesty. "My name is
Masataka. Here's my card. Send me email next time you
get lost. But don't send me many lengthy mails and waste
my time"

He turned around and headed quickly to God knew where. On
the back, his T-shirt read "IETF spoiled me".
				*******
Bala Rajagopalan
(braja@bellcore.com)