Date:      02 Mar 2001 08:41:27 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
To:        Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: picobsd and alternatives

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:15:52 -0600 (CST), Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net> said:

Brennan> I also browsed the archives and contacted two people who had
Brennan> interest in creating a CD version...  If I am able to figure
Brennan> a way to simply burn a working copy of FreeBSD from disk to
Brennan> CD and make it bootable I will do that.  First I suppose I
Brennan> could make it work with simply a hard-drive and a floppy
Brennan> holding all config files.  The filesystem can be set to read
Brennan> only on the disk drive to simulate a CD.

You might want to take a look at what the people at www.ThinkNIC.com
have done. They sell a $200 box that boots/runs Linux (sorry) off CD.
I haven't gotten one myself, yet, but the price is good and the
ability to boot simply is very appealing -- an appliance.

I'm planning on getting a couple and net-booting FreeBSD from my main
box, so I have access to all the SW I've built already, and to all my
files: the simplicity of an Xterm but with decent local processing
power (P233 equiv + 64MB RAM, audio, USB, ...)

Anyway, not trying to push the NIC _per se_ but I think a lot of what
they've done are similar to what you want.  There are a couple
discussion groups on yahoogroups/egroups, one of them is for technical
matters like this one.