Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 16:34:00 +0200 (METDST)
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@cesca.es>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        joe@via.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless/keyboardless booting...

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> This is just so totally confused it's not funny 8(

That's because your sense of humour is not very technical.

> A20 is an address line, not an interrupt.

A20 is an address line, but I was meaning the A20 "gate" or "switch"
(calling it "interrupt" was a lapse, admittedly).

> No systems (that I'm aware of anyway) use the keyboard to access any
> memory anywhere.

I never mentioned a system using a keyboard to access memory, however
the PCs use the keyboard controller to turn the A20 address line off and
on to access memory above 1 MB. This may seem silly to you, but what
you are missing is that the PC is barely a computer...

> A20 _is_ (obviously, really) used to address memory above the 1M mark,
> and is manipulated in an odd fashion in some modes.  None have anything
> to do with the keyboard.

The A20 gate opens when non-XT PCs are powered up, for compatibility
with the XT; then must be closed to allow full memory addressing, and
all this is done via the keyboard controller. I (really) cannot believe
that you have never experienced a memory parity error, for example,
because of a keyboard failure (or absence). The keyboard controller is
very sensitive to this kind of stuff, at least for the PCs that I know.

It should be possible to build a motherboard that gets rid of this, and
perhaps it exists, but the point is that, as I stated in my message, in
principle it will not.

> What you're probably confusing this with is the trick that old versions
> of OS/2 used to return from protected mode to real mode on the '286.

This is only a particular subset of the general problem.

> This has _nothing_ to do with FreeBSD, memory above 1M, A20 or my
> (badly wilted) geraniums.

Do not give up, geraniums sometimes grow in surprising places...

> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[

Carlos Amengual, amengual@prades.cesca.es
Sociedad Astronomica de Espana y America (SADEYA)
Av. Diagonal, 377, 2 ; 08008 Barcelona, Spain