Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:12:39 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        dell-d800@eicat.ca, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell Inspirion 1100 display woes.

As I've posted before, the Inspirion 1100 from Dell only has 842k of
memory available for the display ... effectively limiting the display
to 8 bit colour.  I've tried a number of things, including fetching
the current development version of XFree86 to fix things.

It would appear that the new version of X has some code that tries to
fix things, but still fails.

Recently I found a hack on the web ... that under linux aparently
fixes things.  I've put a copy of the code at:

http://strike.dclg.ca/~dgilbert/845patch.tar.gz

The code in question appears to try to patch a portion of BIOS in RAM
such that things work.  The instructions with this code implied that
it had to be run as part of the bootup process each boot ... so it's
obviously only interacting with the RAM image.

Anyways... is there a way to do this in FreeBSD?

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |