Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 1.1.2 - screensaver password problem

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Doug once wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> >
> > > I  have the  same problem.  I  even tried  to put  old screen  saver
> > > programs there but it  did not help any. Would you  send me email if
> > > you can find a solution?
> >
> >  Before I forget  this question really belongs on  the -questions list
> > where  it was  covered  in depth  recently. The  problem  is that  the
> > kde  screensavers  in  1.1.2  don't  have the  suid  bit.  'chmod  u+s
> > /usr/local/bin/*.kss'  is  the shotgun  solution,  you  might want  to
> > enable only the one(s) you actually use.
>
> So, it is a problem with the port... Send-PR time :)

	I did notify the port's maintainer a while back, haven't heard
from him yet. I have not yet sent a PR because I am not sure that the
screensavers not having the suid bit is actually a "problem," or just a
symptom of something else. A short term solution would be to stick a chmod
command in the post-install target of the port makefile, but I'd rather
leave that decision to Stefan. OTOH, the sheer weight of the number of
questions on this is beginning to gather a momentum of its own....

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."

    - Mel Gibson as Porter, "Payback"