Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:17:16 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

In message <199707251502.KAA04543@compound.east.sun.com> Tony Kimball writes:
: Um, I would point out that one wouldn't be on an Internet mailing list
: unless one were on the Internet.  Most computers have nothing to do
: with the Internet.  There are a large number of email facilities on
: mvs, vm, vines, netware, fidonet, uucp, appletalk, or what-have-you.
: My 'majority' figure may become a 'minority' in the not-to-distant
: future, but the I'm *guessing* that the majority of email-capable
: systems are still not Internetworked.  Of course this depends on your
: definition of Internetworked, and of email-capable.  I'm trying to use
: colloquial meanings here.

The internet has 10M+ hosts on it (as measured by a sampling of the
DNS space), as of the last census (if memory serves).  I doubt that
all the other systems put together that can do email have this many
hosts.  Also, fidonet and uucp are on the internet[*].  fidonet.org
has a gateway function, as does many uucp sites (and bitnet, and
decnet, etc, etc).  With the possible exception of netware, nothing
else even comes remotely close to the size of the internet.  And with
netware, many installations are gatewayed to the internet.

Warner

[*] On the internet here means "I can send email to it" rather than "I
can send IP packets to it."  The south pole is on the net by the
former definition, but rarely by the latter.