Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:34:56 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger Daemon Security

* Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com> [001006 18:21] wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've read a lot of things about hackers using buffer overflows and the like
> to exploit the finger daemon, although whenever I see any details of it, it
> always appears to be older versions. I was wonder what the general concensus
> is around here on whether or not finger recent FreeBSD versions(3.x+) are
> inherently evil:)

It is inherently evil, there's really no use, if a domain allows
finger info then it most likely allows http://whatever.com/~username,
http can provide more info and therefore finger is practically
useless except as a means to leak priveledged information such as
other hosts the user has logging in from leaving a nifty breadcrumb
trail for hackers to compromise/attack other hosts the user uses.

Don't weigh cuteness over security, security is always more important.