Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 16:07:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sup is fetching whole src tree

>> I haven't found much use for the uncompressed commit logs either.

>Except when you want to see what *group* of files comprized a commit,
>as a person who often has to track things down these log files are
>priceless.

>I will agree for joy blow average commiter they are not needed, but
>if you have ever had to go pull a whole patch out of the tree as
>it was commited the only way to find it is in these log files!

Good luck for extracting the `trailing whitespace' changes from the
info in the current log files :-).  You get a complete list of the
files but not revision numbers.

Cross referencing in cvs seems weak.  Is this because I don't know
any admin commands?  There are many log messages that tell you about
dozens of files changed except of course for the file that you are
interested in.  Sometimes it is important to commit a bunch of
interdependent changes at the same time for consistency, and then
`cvs commit' doesn't allow the log message to vary for files in the
same directory.

Bruce