Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:10:07 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Robinson <andrewr@uidaho.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup and portupgrade

In article <200306031216.19062.andrewr@uidaho.edu>, Andrew Robinson
<andrewr@uidaho.edu> writes
>When I run
>portupgrade, it seems to ftp the code to my machine from a remote server.
>But, I was under the impression that I was maintaining an up-to-date copy of
>the source code via regular use of cvsup and the example code in the
>ports-supfile.  Can anyone clarify for me?

Cvsup updates your ports skeleton.  This is the framework you see in
/usr/ports which is basically just a pile of information about how to
install software on your machine.

Portupgrade updates the actual software.  Basically it looks at both
your ports collection and the software you've previously installed.  If
you're running an old version of something then portupgrade will update
it.

When you run portupgrade your machine downloading the actual software
for your machine, whereas cvsup is downloading a list of software you
can install easily.

>What would happen if I ignored
>cvsup altogether?

You'd end up with a stale ports collection, so when portupgrade looked
for updates it would assume you're running the latest versions of
everything even though you could be years out of date.

In short, don't ignore cvsup.  To use portupgrade properly you need an
up to date ports collection and cvsup is the simplest and easiest way to
get it.

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk