Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 07:40:44 -0800
From:      paul beard <pdb2@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Steve (CK)" <toen0013@tc.umn.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptops & FreeBSD?

Steve (CK) wrote:
> My first thought was an iBook or TiBook running OS X but the prohibitive
> cost has me second-guessing that option.  Maybe if the new IBM PPC chips
> were to be introduced before next fall in the iBook I would take this
> option but the speed and cost issue makes me not want to do this.

I think you may be making too much of the speed and cost issues:
an 800 MHz efficient laptop that lets you run an Open Source UNIX
and all the popular desktop apps without dual-booting, all for
$999, is hard to beat. I have a 600 MHZ thinkpad that cost almost
3 times that and the only time I need the horsepower or could use
more is for portupgrades and compiles. That CPU is more than
adequate for my typing speed.

You could try the mobile@freebsd.org list.

--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

weblog @ <http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>;

Washington [D.C.] is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.
		-- John F. Kennedy