Date:      13 May 99 16:55:27 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jesus.monroy@usa.net
Subject:   Re: [Re: BUDS Coming to you soon.]

Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com> wrote:
> >    o........ Deep Recursion Testing[1]
> =

>  I believe you mean Regression testing here.  At least, the
>  description you provided fits the definition of Regression testing.
> =

    I guess so. As many people know, my english is not always
    what it should be. :-)

> >    o........ Permuntation Compilation of the GENERIC Kernel[2]
> =

> =

>  Uh.. I believe you mean "Permutation", right?
> =

    Yes, I thought I check the spelling.... =

>  But, if you simply count the number of options, devices and
>  controllers in the LINT config on 3.1 you get 313.  Let's simplify
>  this and pretend they are all either yes-or-no options.
> =

>  That makes for a *lot* (2 to the 313) of different kernels which will =

>  take quite some time to compile...  (longer than your lifetime?)
> =

>  Perhaps a more realistic testing paradigm should be employed?
> =

    I'm open to suggestions. But I think I will have =

    normal lifetime. :-)

>  Also, I suggest that -hackers isn't appropriate for this...
> =

    Why not?  I'm open to their suggestions, discussions
    and hacks. :-)

---
IN that context, it is the BSD that should be considered,
not the prefix.
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/cgi-bin/newsread?34858