Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        Nabil Zary <nabil@atlas.mip.ki.se>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: 5000 Telnet users/ Best choice

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Nabil Zary wrote:

>  We have to provide telnet access to around 5000 Students (for pine,
>  irc, news, etc..).  We expect an average of 50-100 users logged at
>  the same time.  Should a Pentium Pro 200Mhz with 120Mb RAM do the
>  job??  (or is a Pentium 100Mhz, 98Mb RAM enough?) OS: FreeBSD 2.X

    What else are you running on that box?  If SMTP, POP3, news, HTTP,
etc. are running on other servers, a P133 with 128MB will be
comfortable for up to around 100 users (I ran two servers of this
scale at a previous employer).  Given today's prices, I'd go for a
P166 or P200 with the same amount of RAM.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)