Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:59:22 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        nbm@mithrandr.moira.org, wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, nik@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic Documentation Index

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:40:53AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> On 04-Oct-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Seems like a good thing to me. I've just tried it out (had to change
> > the paths to the FAQ and Handbook for the DocBook docs). There are
> > quite a few ports that install docs other than (& sometimes instead
> > of) manpages but don't advertise the fact.
>
> Exactly. Hence the need to index them.
>
> > As a temporary solution, until the +DOC files are added, how about
> > looking for html files in the +CONTENTS files? Something like
> >
> >       # cd /var/db/pkg
> >       # grep '\.html$' */+CONTENTS
> >
> > and parsing the output in some way (e.g. if there are several .html
> > files installed including "index.html" then just list the index
> > and ignore the others). It's not perfect, but it would dig out all
> > the "hidden" documentation.
>
> I fully understand what you're getting at here. And I can see how this would
> work. I'm a little worried about the possability that this could pick up on
> installed files that arn't actually documentation.
>
> I'm not sure if it's likely, but it would really confuse a user to be pointed
> to files that aren't documentation. Plus, in the +DOCS file we have a
> description of the file that we're linking to, we wouldn't know what the file
> is if we link to it this way.

I thought about that myself. All the script needs to do is read
the <TITLE></TITLE> block at the top of the files in question (in
the case of HTML files).

BTW, I'm trying to borrow a "Perl for Dummies" type book from work
so that I can help out with this.

> Plus, we don't want the ports folk to think that
> this negates the need to retrofit +DOCS files to as many ports as possible.

I also considered that it could automatically generate initial
+DOCS files. This would be sufficient for many ports and the rest
would need tweaking by hand (the ports related to DocBook itself
are a case in point; there's masses of HTML files there). Maybe
this would encourage support from the ports maintainers as they
would have some (maybe all) the work done for them.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.