Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:01:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
Cc:        Ping Mai <ping@stepnet.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem recommendation

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Barrett Richardson wrote:
> My all time favorite is the Hayes Accura. The one I had was a 14.4 but
> there are 56k versions of the same now (unless hayes is gone now). It was
> the only modem I ever saw that worked flawlessly on every OS I put it on.
> No special drivers, no 27 character init strings, it just worked. It
> was, however, pretty boring as it had no bells and whistles.

Yes, it *was* a great modem. Hayes low-end was better than some other
companies high-end. Unfortunately, it is now a dead-end. 8{(

I also had great luck with Cardinal modems. Our biggest customer uses a
*lot* of Codex modems for everything from EDI to business process
automation. I still have users that need demonstrations of why we don't
use USR Sportsters for anything but very light (and attended) duty. - Jy@