Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:39:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        p_a_r <p_a_r@goplay.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD VS BDS

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, p_a_r wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the differens in FreeBSD and NetBSD. I would like=20
> to set up 2 internet servers whitch one should i take?

Well, there's some risk to answer the question - someone may feel his/her
favourite os to be treated inadequately.

The most important strength of NetBSD is its availability on many
different hardware platforms. If you plan to set up your servers on Intel
or DECalpha software, FreeBSD might do better for you. For example,
FreeBSD supports multi-processor systems, NetBSD does not. The FreeBSD
install program is more user-friendly.

Both, FreeBSD and NetBSD, are very solid os; but my experience is not to
buy too cheap hardware for servers. The last times I set up server systems
I decided to spend some more money to buy Dell hardware to run FreeBSD on,
and the systems are exceedingly stable. Before, I used cheaper hardware
and observed too often spontaneous reboots under heavy load I could not
explain.

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg