Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:09:59 -0800
From:      "'Alfred Perlstein '" <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
Cc:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>, Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, Peter Lai <PeterL@resnet.uconn.edu>, "'David Talkington '" <dtalk@prairienet.org>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pronunciations

* Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com> [001130 15:41] wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Chris Hill wrote:
>

> > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
> >

> twiddle

"ok, now hit tilde" (til-deh)
"what?"
"the curly line thing"
"the what?"
"y'know the accent thing above the back-tick..?"
"back.. tick?"
"argh!"  *WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM* (slamming phone on desk)
"hello? hello? what was that?"
"*nothing*, y'know the spanish accent thingy on the upper left hand side
 of the keyboard?"
"uh...?"
 *WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM* (this time it's my head hitting the desk)
"oh! i found it! nice homepage..."
"yeah, great... bye!" *CLICK*

Moral of the story:
  Depending on technical ability you may have adapt your pronunciation.