Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 13:09:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rls@mail.id.net (Robert Shady)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem

> I've got a serious problem with *ANY* 3.0 snapshots.  I've seen several
> other people say in the mailing lists that they have experienced similar
> problems, but I have yet to see a legitimate answer to them.  PLEASE
> respond asap.
>
> The problem:
>     In certain software packages, the gethostbyname call appears to fail.
> The software:
>     (so far) sendmail, and harvest
>
> The scenario:
>     Webserver - Approximately 100 virtual hosts.  Running nothing but YP
>     client, webservices, and sendmail with client (forward) configuration.

[ ... ]

> Sendmail complains:
> ===================
> May  1 08:43:33 www001 sendmail[4405]: gethostbyaddr() failed for 199.125.2.95

[ ... ]

> Harvest complains:
> ==================
> broker: 970430 23:43:07: select returned: 1
> broker: 970430 23:43:07: host_cache: get_host (199.125.2.24)

	Gets host by addr

> broker: 970430 23:43:07: getfullhostname: gethostbyname(www001.id.net) returned NULL.

Attempts to cannonize name to primar 'A' record.  Name returned is not
cannonical.

You are aware that you can not mix versions fo sendmail and bind and
changes in versions of FreeBSD networking structures, right?  You must
rebuild (a *matched*!) sendmail and bind if you update past a structure
change.  If you replace sendmail (or bind), you must generally replace
bind (or sendmail) at the same time.  This was especially problematic
when they were both "sanitized" for Linux style cshared library usage.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---