Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:31:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Current List <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: No console on AlphaServer 2000 4/233  4.2-RC2

John W. De Boskey writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 >    Console, console, where's the console?

The SRM console is using a TGA video card as the console output
device.  TGA is not supported by syscons.  So FreeBSD is forced to use
the serial console instead...  You can "fix" this by using just about
any $10 pci vga card you happen to have laying around in place of the
TGA card.  Or hook up a 9600 8,n,1 connection to the 1st serial port
and tell the srm to use it as a console (>>> set console serial)

 > and dmesg: (Yes, the 1st 2 lines are from dmesg, and I cannot
 > find where they are coming from yet).

 > Unrecognized boot flag '0'.
 > Unrecognized boot flag ','.

They're coming from the kernel, I think.  You probably have
'boot_osflags' set to something like '0,a' in the srm console.
Clear that variable, or set it to "a" and those messages will go
away.

 > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1011, dev=0x0004) at 6.0 irq 32

FWIW, this is the TGA card.

Drew