Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:44:51 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com>, "freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dns/bind916 builds rust unexpectedly

On 26/09/23 09:30, Tatsuki Makino wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It means that rust is so pervasive that rust builds are unavoidable :)

Actually it's much worse than that. It's not only rust per se.

My poudriere machine rarely can do a build run without rebuilding one or
more of rust, some version of clang, some version of gcc,
qt[56]-webengine, py-qt6 (this one does most of the work single threaded
unluckily). Also it often ends up having to rebuild firefox and
thinderbird (these two heavily use rust, and get little speed up from
ccache), libreoffice (this one at least get a very strong speed up
thanks to ccache) etc.

I do not approve of this, but the world is going in that direction,
especially for desktop oriented software but not only.

My conclusion is, I have no power to stop this, so I can only adapt,
with effort, but still less effort than resisting alone for no benefit.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>