Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:29:13 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (Jose M. Alcaide)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The trouble with boot0

Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> Robert Nordier wrote:
> >
> > Can you try the -current version of boot0?  You can pick up both
> > source and binary files at
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/download/boot0-latest.tar.gz
> >

> It works, indeed. The conclusion is clear: CHS mode does not work
> because of a geometry problem (there is not a formatted DOS partition
> on the HD). Packet mode does work, however. I was shot by 4.2-RELEASE's
> boot0 -- and by the *damn* geometry problem of IDE disks, of course.
>
> BTW, I found another problem with -CURRENT's boot0: the "noupdate"
> option does not work as expected. If "noupdate" is set, then
> boot0 *only* boots the slice marked as active in the partition
> table, regardless of the F? choice or even the default F? (which
> is correctly shown).

The behaviour of "noupdate" shouldn't have changed.  Though FreeBSD's
boot2 has always ignored any partition table entry pointer that
gets passed to it in the i386 SI register by the MBR code; and that
means it depends completely on the active flag where multiple FreeBSD
partitions are present on the same disk.

> Perhaps I am abusing of your patience, but I have another question ;-)
> The BIOS setup of the problem machine offers four choices for the
> HD mode: AUTO, NORMAL, LBA and LARGE. The NORMAL and LBA modes work with
> the packet mode of boot0; however, LARGE does not work, and this
> is the mode selected by the BIOS if I put the HD in AUTO mode.
> I am simply asking for an explanation of this behavior, or a pointer
> to any document about this subject. Could you help me?

I've really no idea what LARGE does, specifically.  I've always
thought of it as just a synonym for LBA, but that evidently doesn't
apply to your BIOS.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com