Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:04:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jdw@wwwi.com (Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

Michael Smith writes:
> Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I guess -current is getting awfully far ahead of -stable.  Which is
> > natural, since it's moving and -stable isn't.  Maybe I'm the only one
> > that's starting to feel left behind, like -stable's been unhooked
> > from the FreeBSD train (partially because it was slowing the train down).
>
> The -stable banner was _very_ prominently offered to any one or group who
> wanted to carry it forward, and there were lots of "we would love you if
> you did" noises from people at the thought.
>
> But nobody has taken it up.  Does -stable matter to you?  Do you or your
> business want to see -stable move forwards?  THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

To followup on it.  I gave up doing work on -stable b/c I felt like one
lone voice in the wilderness, and given my lack of involvement in
projects I *should* be doing (mobile/laptop stuff) I decided it wasn't
worth my time to try and back-port stuff to -stable.

That being said, I will do my best to integrate patches into -stable
that folks submit to me IFF they have been fully tested.  I have a
laptop which has 2 disks which runs -stable on one and -current on the
other, so I can at least give it a quick test on my box before
integrating it into the system.  Also, I'm not going to integrate
anything 'huge' and or significantly because of the -stable charter.

So, if you want to provide me some patches, I'll get them into stable.
But, folks need to make it *really* easy for me to do by making them
apply against -stable w/out problems (no funky diffs with extraneous
changes) and that will work (ie; no crashes), that provide obvious
*needed* functionality (ex; SYN flooding patches would be OK, changing
permissions on init would be rejected).

Nate