Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:00:52 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>, Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: My FreeBSD Experience ]]]]]

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Wow, i'm glad i've never been given the beating you are when I
> disagreed with some people on the lists... :)

You probably didn't know it, but JMJr. has 6 or 7 years of history with
some of the FreeBSD community -- none of it good.  We weren't beating
him because we disagreed, we were beating him because he's JMJr. and
has come back to haunt us and turn our or beloved mailing lists into
a twisty maze of incomprehensible blatherings.  In fact, I'm not sure
JMJr. really exists, I think he's really just a terminal in the monkey
cage at some zoo...

[Capsule review of editing man pages elided...]

> then you log onto irc and point out the url to your patchfile
> to the commiters on the channel, or better yet get a "sponsor"
> meaning someone who will commit for you and email them the url.

Just use send-pr to submit the patch, somebody will get it, review it,
and commit it if OK, or bounce it back to you if it needs more work.
I don't IRC, it already takes enough time to sift through 600 emails
per day.  Unlike JMJr., I do occasionally commit things to FreeBSD.
;^)

> I used to feel as disillusioned (sp) as you do about the state of doing
> things for the FreeBSD project, but it's really quite simple once
> you get realize that when they say "show us the diffs" they mean it.

Yes, we do.  As Seth pointed out, JMJr. has never even bothered to file
a problem report with the send-pr command, let alone submit a fix to
something, so his grandiose claims of contributions to FreeBSD ring
VERY hollow.

You have to be careful about sending in good quality patches to FreeBSD,
though.  If you keep it up, everyone will eventually get tired of committing
patches for you and make you do it yourself.  ;^)

> There is no garantee that your patches will be accepted once you
> do all this, but i'd say barring any glaring errors or ommisions
> you have a 90% chance of getting doc changes in.
>
> Sitting on your butt harrasing the doc people will just get you
> scorn.

It's nice to see people realizing this (as well as not changing the subject
line).  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com