Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 16:40:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Jonathan Belson wrote:

> machine - but again, why do the other OSes work fine?

Because they can't possibly push your hardware as hard as FreeBSD does.
Adding an extra clock cycle of net delay in one little operation is all it
might take to make one of these timing issues never show up on another OS.

(Not to mention, they don't usually stay up long enough to find out.  :) )

All of these people who are seeing the same type of crashing problem, are
all probably using memory that just isn't up to snuff.

I've seen this NUMEROUS times on Athlons (I use mainly A7Vx boards).
EVERY SINGLE TIME, changing to truly good RAM (ie. Micron, perhaps
Infineon), has cured the problem.  Most Hyundai I've seen, for example,
will run fine at 100 MHz in the Athlon, but not at 133 MHz, but will work
fine in many other boards at 133 MHz.

Of course, I can usually make Windows crash with the poor memory, too.

Later......						<Doug>