Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:43:11 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Carl <k0802647@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/154228: [md] md getting stuck in wdrain state

On 01/24/2011 00:02, Carl wrote:
> On 2011-01-23 7:26 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Not to put too fine a point on it, but doing your part in situations
>> like this is part of the "cost" of "free" software.
>
> Believe it or not, I'd actually thought I _was_ doing my part when I
> spent all that time testing and trying to craft a script to make the
> situation reproducible. I did what was possible in my situation.

There is no doubt your bug report was one of the better ones.

> I really am truly grateful for the "free" software, but if the "cost" is
> a choice between nuking a production system or not bothering to spend
> time submitting bug reports containing as much information as is
> obtainable, which one will the end user choose? I know plenty of folks
> that would say that's a trick question and that the correct answer is to
> not use the "free" software. My turn to sharpen the point - wielding the
> "free" argument as a club is a bit much when end users are willingly
> doing what they can to help.

I think you misunderstand the situation. I'm not wielding anything as a
club. I'm merely pointing out that what you seem to be insisting WE do
to help you may be beyond what we are willing or able to do. If that's
not enough to satisfy your needs you may be forced into a difficult
decision. Meanwhile, you have a developer who is willing to spend his
time, effort, and energy; free of charge; to assist you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Doug

			-- OK Go