Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:33:33 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jukka Simila <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fave Window Manager... found it.

On 24-Jun-98 Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>plain old twm anyway)... the pager is very nice to look at as well (8
>virtual desktops by default with different backgrounds on each) but it

in fact i don't use virtual desktops :) (aren't the v desktops the most
important advantage in ctwm compared to twm..? ..nae, who cares)

>didn't seem to offer a lot of features (as in, modules and other utilities
>and stuff that comes with it).  It's really good for a newbie, and/or if

i don't miss any modules i remember from fvwm2 ..

>you don't want to deal with icons or a lot of other BS.  I tell you though,
>advanced BSD users are laughing at both of us.  Fvwm2 is considered one of

what is an advanced BSD user? (my friend is an system administrator in a
company .. they have fbsd and he has fbsd at home also.. and he uses ctwm.
i think his motto is: simple is beautiful :) (btw - that's why i got ctwm -, i
totally fell in love with it's outlook and feel at my friend)

>the more basic window managers as well.  The "gurus" all are using KDE, or
>Afterstep/Windowmaker/Enlightenment, or maybe even a commercial window
>manager.  The "Nextstep/Openstep" look is very popular right now (which I
>personally am not that thrilled with).

He (my friend) isn't maybe a guru , but his opinion about kde was: "KDE? U
don't want IT.." and he didn't mean someone else would maybe want it..

- anyway, i don't know if he is laughing at us all the time :)

>Maybe I didn't give ctwm enough of a chance.. if I get tired of not being
>able to change the background in Fvwm2, maybe I'll switch.  Or maybe I'll
>use both..  who knows... that's one of the cool things about X... try using
>20 different user interfaces on a Microsoft OS... ;-)

- yes, that is a real fun, i had all wm's i found from my special 2.2.5 cd at
the same time on my machine, it was fun to switch from wm2 to fvwm95 and then
to qvwm and gwm and mlvwm etc.

>One of the disadvantages of Fvwm2 is that window resizing can be a pain in
>the butt.  If your desktop and buttonbar are covered up, it becomes very
>difficult to resize a window if you need to (you need to iconify it or
>switch using the pager before you can resize).  I've always preferred
>window managers that auto-resize when you click any edge of a window (like
>Windows does it), and Fvwm2 doesn't do that.  So maybe eventually I'll

ctwm does that if u tell it to do that.. mine does

>switch to something else (but probably not... I've put a LOT of work into
>configuring Fvwm2 at this point).

if u wan't my .ctwmrc file i can mail it to u (if i know how to, have never
tested). . but it really isn't so hard to configure (if u just read the fine
ctwm manual.. i printed it out before i started to configure ctwm.. it's easier
to read it from paper than from xterm window.. once u press space the thing
you've been searching for passes by.. )

>I think it supports something called "rules" that are similar to filters..
>but nothing is so easy in Unix, so check it out, it probably takes 10 times
>as long to configure as the Eudora filters do, for example... ;-)

thanks, it really has those "rules" and they are as easy to configure as
netscape messenger's filters- haven't eudora so i can't say anything about it.

>BTW, are you having the same problem I am... when you click on a message to
>read or reply in Xfmail, the window that comes up is HUGE (fills more than
>one whole screen) and there doesn't look like any way to change it... ?
>You have to manually resize it each time, it looks like, or just put up
>with it filling the entire screen from corner to corner (I hate programs
>that do that... I always like some desktop space available).

well, when i clicked some message, the windows that came up was indeed bigger
than my desktop, but i resized it to very small, and chose 'file->exit'. When i
clicked any message again, it opened the window as the size i was resized it.
it didn't open the window to the place i had moved it to , but i can live with
the place that xfmail gives to the window.

btw.. sorry my english (if someone noticed it was english :)

E-Mail: Jukka Simila <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>