Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:42:06 +0900
From:      Hiroyuki Hanai <hanai@hanaigw.astec.co.jp>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New conversion scheme in place.

John Fieber wrote:

> > In practice, I have one problem but it is because our japanese version of
> > SGML files are based on 2.1.5R and sgmls doesn't know 'ero' in the new
> > scheme.
>
> &ero; == &amp;
>
> Use &amp;

Yes, I know.
We've just finished the translation of 2.1.5R-based handbook into Japanese
and next our TODO is to catch up the -current version of handbook.
When we finish it, the above will not be a problem automatically.

Next TODO is on FAQ and some documents.
One or two weeks before, I found the 'tutorial' on the FreeBSD Web and
I searched the source tree to find the source(SGML) files of 'tutorial'
but I could not.
Are they available? If so, we want to work on them because it is
good document for beginners and usable to increase the FreeBSD users
in Japan!

We also have big TODO!, which is to include our Japanese version of
handbook in the FreeBSD source tree but we don't have clear vision
to do it.
We are thinking where should the SGML files placed? or where the japanese
version of groff should be placed? and so on.
Do you have any idea?
Anyway, I'm so poor at English to discuss about this issue ;-) but I think
Satoshi(asami@FreeBSD.ORG) will help us and negotiate with CoreTeam about it.

> If there is anything I can do that would make the japanese work
> better, let me know.  I've been reading up on the topic in
> "Understanding Japanese Information Processing" so that I don't
> accidentally break it in the future, since I have some
> modification to instant in the pipeline that allow manipulating
> the data content of elements. I've also been studying various

Thank you very much for you cooperation!! It sounds great!
Actually, we have no problem so far if we use EUC and I think it'll
be no problem as long as you don't drop the 8th bit of the data content.

> sources on various approaches using EUC, JIS, unicode and friends
> with SGML.  Its all quite exciting and has even sparked an
> interest in learning some Japanese!

Really? but I think there are serious problems when you want to support
JIS code, isn't it? ;-(

By the way, I wrote about SGML declaration for EUC a few days ago,
how do you think of it?
OK, I don't want to bother you and there is no problem in the
current(sgmls+instant) sheme. So, please don't be nervous about it.

-----H.Hanai
P.S. Is there any plan to discard sgmls and use nsgmls for parsing?