Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 11:58:17 +1000
From:      George Scott <George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> Hell, the concept of "production level" doesn't even make sense when
> discussing what's essentially a live snapshot of the engineering
> team's working sources and, if anything, the real problem here is that
> the WRONG PEOPLE are running -current!

I think that part of the problem might be that the name is a little bit
misleading.  When I first started looking at FreeBSD and heard about CURRENT
I had an image in my mind of the current release, ie, what I later discovered
was called -RELEASE.

A name like DEVEL might have been less confusing.

I'm not suggesting that the name be changed, just trying to explain a
phenomenon.  Maybe the solution to the problem would be better advertising
(ie, where -CURRENT is mentioned make it clear that it is development code).

George.
--
George Scott                       George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au
Systems Programmer, Caulfield Computer Centre, Monash University