Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:15:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julianj@qsa.qualitysemi.com (Julian Jenkins)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

> Yes, but when Telsra did finally get around to offering cable modem
> services in Sydeny and Melbourne, the service was so limited as to be
> useless to all but the most boring of users.

This is the promise of ADSL, which we don't even have yet.  There is
only one 5ESS switch in Tucson, and I'm betting they only offer the
service in commercial/other prefixes serviced by that switch (ie: I
am still SOL).

> It initially sounded good to have megaibits of bandwidth to the internet.
> However all you can do with it is browse the web, read mail from thier
> servers and telnet out. All other services have been disabled. This is
> particularly usless to people like me, I connect my home machine to
> the internet so that I can use it from work as often as otherwise.

Yep.  No back channel.  You must have had an existing cable infrastructure
which was not heavily upgraded.  This is what TCI was promising in
Phoenix (I'd have to move 65 miles away to even have a chance of
getting it), but then backed off from.  The problem is that they would
have to replace all their repeaters.  No capability to run a server on
your end of the cable: only good for pushing commercial content in
your face.

> And just to add insult to injury, it is only possible to authenitcate
> yourself to their network using software that they will provide and only
> runs under windoze 3.1 or 95.

So buy a copy of Sourcer from V Communications, Inc. (www.vcom.com),
and run it on the Windows 3.1 code (Sourcer has problems with the
number of symbols in Windows95, from my experience).  It will spit
out commented x86 assembly source code for their programs.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---