Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:31:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        K.J.Bosschaart@tue.nl
Cc:        John Holland <john@zoner.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable boot hangs

In message <20000626163623.A60970@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl> "Karel J. Bosschaart" writes:
: On 06/17 there was a change in sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c, which causes my ISA
: NE2000 compatible to hang at boot time, just like in your case. I contacted
: Paul Saab, who commited the change, about it and hope he will have a
: solution. As a quick workaround, you might try replacing if_ed.c with an
: 'old' one and recompile your kernel. I didn't try this myself. Instead
: I replaced my ISA NIC with a PCI NIC (also using ed0...) which works fine.
: If you go into config mode during boot and disable the ed driver the system
: will boot again - without network of course :-(.
: (The change in if_ed.c had to do with probing newer cards).

Yes.  We really need to split up the ed driver into three new drivers:
ne (for the ne2000), smc (for the smc based card) and ls (for linksys,
although my off the cuff name sucks).  Probing is becoming much harder
for these beasts and order is getting harder and harder to get right
for every card on the planet :-(

Warner