Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 18:17:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      William Maddox <maddox@p-1.eng.sun.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

You recently made the following remark on freebsd-hardware:

> The Adaptec chips are generally better supported in
> FreeBSD and I wouldn't consider anything else for systems that I build.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
> Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "better supported"?

Do you mean:

	1) Has fewer bugs?
	2) Makes better use of the hardware capabilities?
	3) Has a maintainer who is willing/able to devote
           more time to the task?

Are there specific deficiencies in the drivers for the Symbios cards
that cause you to recommend against them?

I ask because I have heard many positive comments regarding the
Symbios-based cards, generally to the effect that they offer performance
nearly indistinguishable from Adaptec (at least for a workstation) and are
clearly a lot cheaper.  I've also had good results with an Asus SC-200 under
Linux.  Given your role in the FreeBSD project, however, I would expect that
you have the straight scoop on this, and a lot more experience with SCSI
cards and FreeBSD.

Thanks for any info you might offer.

William Maddox