Date:      15 Jan 2000 20:18:58 +0100
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How to clean _definitively_ a filesystem

I've a problem on a FBSD 3.4-Stable machine:

I've tried to test 4-Current on it, but all my efforts to make world
was unsuccessful so i've downgraded it again to 3.4 stable : cvsup +
make world, mergemaster, all is ok except a problem about mounting /
on boot.

FBSD complaints about a dirty /tmp filesystem (/mnt is not on a
separate fs) so / cannot be mounted R/W and the system boot in single
mode. If i do a 'mount -f -orw /' then a ^D, the system goes in normal
mode and i can work as usual... Obviously, i've done multiple fsck on
/, but the pb remains...

It seems FBSD "remember" that i have mounted my / partition on /mnt to
fix the pb i've had with my junk 4-Current trial.

What could be the reason of this and how to fix it ? (/ is using
softupdates).

Thanks in advance.