Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:09:23 -0600
From:      Michael Owens <mike@mikesclutter.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Unresponsive when default route is down

I have a 4.4 STABLE machine with a Sangoma WANPipe, configured as a router,
using IPNAT/IPF. Up until last week, it had a 370+ day uptime, no problems
whatsoever. Since last week, I have had problems with our upstream provider
-- the link has gone down several times.

The problem is that when the link goes down, within five or ten minutes the
router's network services become unreponsive. I can't SSH in, can't ping, the
DHCP and interal DNS services are non-repsonsive - nothing. Not only does is
not route, it does not communicate with any hosts on the LAN. Is it trying to
reverse DNS via the default route and freezing there?

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Michael Owens