Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:12:32 -0800
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Hunter Peress <hfastjava@yahoo.com>
Cc:        andre@netvision.com.br, chat@freebsd.org, bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BitTorrent Mirror of 5.0

--==_Exmh_-1200605104P

If memory serves me right, Hunter Peress wrote:
> --- Andre <andre@netvision.com.br> wrote:
> > I wish the KDE project distributed their files with this, everytime they
> > release something is a pain to download it.
> > And I'm sad I don't read the freebsd-www mailling list, I'd have downloaded
>
> > FreeBSD using BitTorrent! I think that now, most people who wanted to
> > download FreeBSD 5 release, already did so,

I don't think this is true at all.

[snip]

> Anyway, bob MAH suggested that I publicize to the chat and current lists and
> I've
> done so. So bob, could you link to a torrent off the www page on the next rel
> ease
> (we'll wait months obviously until 5.1 or whatever comes next).
>
> Bob, if you need personal convincing, come to that irc channel, and we'll tak
> e you
> through the ropes. BTW, /. is going to feature a torrented link during the ne
> xt few
> stories it does where there is a BIG file to xfer.

Who the heck is Bob?  :-)

I probably won't be the person to add a link to BT, mostly because I
have no experience with it at all.  (Would you recommend a product
you've never used?)  This isn't due to any problems in BT, it's due to
a lack of time on my part to look into things.

> As a final note: being conservative will only lead to decay.

I'm one of the release engineers for FreeBSD.  It is part of my "job" to
be conservative.  I don't think I'm decaying at all, nor is our project.

That being said, I'm not the sole keeper of the Web site, far from it.
I'm just the first (only?) one of 300+ total committers who happened to
reply to your email.

What I think would be great (and what I was trying to encourage) is if a
bunch of people read your postings, tried out BT, and said "Hey, this is
really a great mechanism for getting FreeBSD."  Then at least we'd have
a warm fuzzy feeling about it, and I'd feel good about advocating this
as a distribution mechanism.  That's one way to go.  It's not the only
one (there's plenty more that don't involve me at all, so please don't
feel like I'm somebody that you need to convince of anything).

Cheers, and good luck,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1200605104P

--==_Exmh_-1200605104P--