Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:51:41 -0600
From:      Aaron Parmelee <trout@net66.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   is minicom installed or not?

hello out there:

 i have just installed freebsd 3.0 on my machine, from the walnut creek
cdrom. everything seems to work fine so far. now, i don't recall installing
minicom when i installed freebsd, but there is a minicom directory, which
looks like this:

CVS
Makefile
README.html
files
patches
pkg
scripts

does this mean that minicom is there? nothing happens when i type
"minicom," and when i enter in the full pathname, i get "permission
denied." (i assume because minicom is the name of a dir, not a file)

now, a little background: i am new to this. i have never installed
anything, port or otherwise on freebsd, or any other flavor of unix. i have
never used minicom before, but today i was trying to set things up to use
my modem. i went through the handbook (webpages) on setting up ppp, and am
now to the point where i would run kermit or minicom and try to establish a
connection. (i don't really know if i have set up ppp right, but this is
how i plan to find out)

incidently, is there anyway to check and see if the modem is recognized by
freebsd? something like ping? (the modem is a us robotics 56k external (not
a winmodem, or at least it better not be) at dev/cuaa0)

any advice would be appreciated

-aaron
"Disgruntled? Hell, they're all disgruntled. I ain't runnin no daisy farm.
My motto is do it my way or watch your butt."
-Nathan Arizona, Raising Arizona