Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 15:49:05 +0100
From:      Michael Schuster - Sun Germany <michael.schuster@sun.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> >     Yes.  Increasing the number of bytes per inode will reduce the number
> >     of inodes and thus reduce fsck time.  Increasing the number of cylinders
> >     in a group will localize inodes into bigger chunks, reducing seeking
> >     and also thus reduce fsck time.
>
> Wouldn't that tend to generally reduce day-to-day performance as well?
> I suspect that Kirk and co. at CSRG had a good reason for choosing the
> defaults they did.

I don't think you can generalise. It very much depends on what you're doing
with your filesystem. Eg. an application writing only log-like data will
exercise the FS quite differently from one where many small files are
constantly being changed in a random manner, and it will again differ if
you use your FS mostly read-only.
Finally, this also depends on how the data is organised on disk (I'll only
say "big directories").

cheers
Michael
--
Michael Schuster          / Michael.Schuster@sun.com
Sun Microsystems GmbH     / Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Heimstetten

Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'