Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:34:55 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

Based on Jordan's and other arguments, and the general support I've
gotten, I'll go ahead and just do it.  it == commit the rest of the -d
stuff, fully functional, no warnings.  I understand Nate's and Bruce's
objections.  They are correct as far as they go,, and I agree better
ways to doo the same thing exist and -d shouldn't be encouraged in the
system build.  However, in this particular case, compatibility with
other, closely related systems, overrides the concerns over its
potential for abuse.

I appreciate all the input that I've received, and will remember it in
the future, as it gives me a good feel for the underlying philsophical
landscape of the FreeBSD community.

Warner