Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:47:56 -0400
From:      Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems w/ IMCP sockets

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 10:36:51AM -0700, Bill Fenner wrote:
> Can you give more specifics?  On a 2.2.6 system, I opened 75 raw
> ICMP sockets and set SO_RCVBUF to 200Kbytes on each, and then
> initiated a flood ping so that I'd get lots and lots of ICMP.  I
> don't know if 75 is "many, many" or if 200Kbytes is "too high",
> and I don't know what OS version you experienced this on, but
> nothing untoward happened during my test.

	I'm running my "sysmond" program (source is at
ftp://puck.nether.net/pub/jared/beta/sysmon-0.78.4.12-dev2.tar.gz)
with the config file found in there called crashfreebsd.conf

	When running this, please run it with -d -n, (-d says
don't fork, and -n tells it to ignore the e-mail contact
info).  I just crashed these boxes:

FreeBSD punk.nether.net 2.2.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Wed Mar  4 12:28:12 EST 1998     jared@punk.nether.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/PUNK  i386

FreeBSD irc.cic.net 3.0-980520-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-980520-SNAP #1: Wed May 27 02:22:15 EDT 1998     jared@irc.cic.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYSMP  i386

kernel conf files are in that directory also.

	It's panicing the kernel niceley, and 100% of the time.

	If you need *any* help at all reproducing this, let me know,
i'd be happy to help you crash your system.  (program must be run
as root to do raw icmp sockets) -- feel free to comment on the
"security" of the program directly to me.

	- Jared