Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:12:11 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CURRENT Kernel Status

On Sat, Mar 21, 1998 at 10:00:18PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Following up, just wanted to say that this latest set of bugs will
> > leave crud on your filesystems that fsck cannot fix.
>
> I'd like more detail on this.  The fsck program is supposed to return
> your disk to a consistent state, regardless of whether or not the
> data resulted from bad writes or from physical problems with the
> disk (though in the latter case, you'd be silly to not back it up
> as soon as it was consistent, and throw the old disk away).
>
> I know that fsck will not necessarily be able to return the disk
> to the state that it would have been without the failure, but it
> should be possible for it to return it to a self-consistent state.
>
> If it can't, then we need to fix it (IMO).

It doesn't in this particular case.

Further, that the METADATA is ok doesn't mean the file contents are
undamaged!

This last round destroyed or damaged BOTH metadata and the file contents.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV