Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:49:19 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Brook Miles <forger@bcgrizzly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping custom changes during a cvsup

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Brook Miles wrote:

> Can somebody point me in the right direction for maintaining custom
> changes made to the source tree while still keeping up to date with
> -stable or whatever branch you're following?
>
> For example the fix for PR bin/11860 consists of adding a line of code to
> inetd.c, but cvsup'ing again clobbers the change.

With cvsup you're basicalkly limited to saying "don't touch these files at
all" (check the manpages for how to do this, I think they're called "refuse
files"). DOing it this way means that if there are any "official" changes to
the file then it will not be merged into yours - you have to take note and
apply the patch yourself

The better way is to use cvsup to maintain a local copy of the source CVS
repository on your machine, and then use cvs to update from there. cvs is much
smarter about merging revisions onto changed files, the only downside being
that it's slower to update your source tree, and the CVS repository is quite
large (>400MB, I think).

Kris

> +---
> | Brook Miles <forger@bcgrizzly.com>