Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 15:56:26 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems with Iwill PIILS motherboard

I have just purchased a new system for running FreeBSD. It is
based on the Iwill PIILS motherboard, which uses the 440LX
chipset and includes an Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller.
I'm running FreeBSD-stable now, but I have detected two problems:

First, the serial ports are not detected. I know that this problem
also happens with other Iwill MBs and some Compaqs. I have found
that two tests made by the sio driver fail (tests numbered 5 and 8).
If I disable both tests, the serial ports are detected and work
fine. However, I would like to know if someone is working on
a patch for this problem. If there isn't any known solution, a
new kernel config option (SIO_PROBLEM, for example) would be
very useful.

The second problem is related to SCSI. When the AHC driver
tries to read the 7880's SEEPROM, the operation fails with
a "cheksum error". I'm afraid that the 7880 chip on my PIILS
motherboard is different (perhaps another version?): for example,
I cannot choose the termination type using the Adaptec SCSI BIOS
("High ON/Low ON", "High ON/Low Off"...); instead, I can only select
"Enable" or "Disable". However, the "cheksum error" trying to read
the 7880's SEEPROM does not prevent the AHC driver from working
properly. Until now, I can access to my SCSI disk and CD-ROM without
any problem.

These are the codes on the chip surface:

	AIC7880P
	AQWA 750
	722511
	BF3671.1

If the 7880 SCSI controller on my PIILS motherboard is a new
version, or it has any kind of difference, I'm ready to make
any tests on my system; however, in this case I will need some
help from the person(s) responsible of the AHC driver.

Cheers,
-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139