Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 16:47:28 -0400
From:      "S. Gwizdak " <wazm@rm-f.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: email vs. e-mail, was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c

> > >  Knuth already did -- http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/email.htm
> > 	I consider Knuth to be authoritative on matters relating to
> > computer science.  I do not consider him to be authoritative on
> > matters relating to the use of the English language.  When this use
> > is recognized and recommended by the Oxford English Dictionary, I
> > might consider it -- but not before.
> I have an Oxford Encyclopaedic Dictionary from 1991 that lists email as
> the primary usage. I expect the same to be true for the full dictionary,
> but I don't have convenient access to a copy.

I have access to the OED:

email[2]:
     Colloq. shortening of electronic mail s.v. ELECTRONIC a.

e-mail (verb):
     trans. To send by electronic mail; to communicate with (a
     person) by electronic mail. Also intr., to establish contact
     by electronic mail.

It should be noted that email was first seen in print in 1982,
whereas e-mail showed up in 1987.