Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 07:43:59 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6: can a link-site (or global) address be configured in rc.conf?

--==_Exmh_614585453P

If memory serves me right, "Jose M. Alcaide" wrote:

> Now that I have several machines running FreeBSD 4.0, I started to
> play with IPv6. It's fun! I have plans to set up a v6-over-v4 tunnel
> and connect to the 6Bone.
>
> I read /usr/share/examples/IPv6/USAGE, /usr/share/doc/IPv6/IMPLEMENTATION
> and some documents at the KAME web site.  However, I still have to figure out
> how to assign a not-link-local address (i.e., a site or global address) to
> the [unique] Ethernet interface of each host in an automatic manner (from
> /etc/rc.conf).  After reading /etc/rc.network6 I concluded that no addresses
> apart from the link-local ones are assigned to the interfaces.  I am using
> ifconfig manually to do this (BTW, I found that there is no need to specify
> "alias").

/etc/rc.network6 assumes that you'll get your non-link-local address(es)
from your router(s) using rtsol(8).  The router, in turn, needs to be
running something like rtadvd(8).

> I am new to IPv6, so maybe I am asking for something with no
> sense...

IPv6 autoconfiguration is very roughly analogous to using DHCP in the
IPv4 world.  (It's not exactly the same though.  In fact, there exists
a DHCP for IPv6.)

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_614585453P