Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:15:40 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        bv@wjv.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

All those things that intel systems are expected to conform to are just
BIOS restrictions. The nice thing about IBMs, Suns, and many other
non-PC workstations is that they have a nice BIOS system designed to
handle such things as the ipldevice, etc. Intel systems, without BIOS,
simply just start executing whatever is at 0xffff0 (i think that's it,
towards the end of memory anyway), which typically is where the BIOS
chip is mapped/wired. If PC BIOSes weren't so brain-dead we could have
all sorts of useful features (e.g.: 386 and 486 hardware does have the
ability to boot from ATA CD, but the BIOS doesn't know how to find it).

Anyway, many linux-based distro's use a seperate small partition to boot
the kernel, typically if the driver for the boot device is not compiled
in the kernel. The loading mechanism is pretty different though, and
I don't really see the advantage in the BSD's. At least, not until we
run into the problem where our loader can't get the kernel off the boot
device. That's what all the _ROOT macros in config are for.

Karsten W. Rohrbach had the audacity to say:

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe--