Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 20:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jesus.monroy@usa.net, rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: [Re: BUDS Coming to you soon.]

> >  That makes for a *lot* (2 to the 313) of different kernels which will
>
> >  take quite some time to compile...  (longer than your lifetime?)
> >

> >  Perhaps a more realistic testing paradigm should be employed?
> >

>     I'm open to suggestions. But I think I will have
>     normal lifetime. :-)

 Uh.. I don't think you quite grasp what I'm saying...  While I
 wish you a robust health and have no thoughts about your
 life expectancy, I don't believe you could complete this task in
 a normal lifetime.  I don't believe you could complete this task
 in the amount of time equivalent to the age of the universe...
 it's a *lot* of time!

 2 to the 313th power is a *very* *big* number...  (hmm.... I wonder
 how much paper would be required to print it out; do we have that
 many trees in the world?  If we consider all the trees ever grown
 on the planet, is that enough?  What if we made the font *really*
 small :-) )

 And, I'd daresay that by the time you did try and build each
 permutation, there'd be quite a few more added :-)  Adding just
 one more config option *doubles* the amount of tests you have
 to do...  (so, you went from impossible in the amount of time
 left in the universe to two times that, with just *one* option.)

 Testing is a laudable goal... but permutation testing often
 can't be accomplished.

 Perhaps you should simply try and determine, say, the top
 20 hardware configuarations and test the kernel configuarations
 that match those.  You might be able to expand that number to,
 say, the top 100, etc...

	- Dave Rivers -