Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:16:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bad disk partitioning policies (was: "Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")")

Brad Knowles wrote to chip:

[...]
> what happens during boot if the system need to write something to
> /tmp, but /tmp is a symlink to a filesystem that hasn't been mounted
> yet?

Dear Mr. Knowles,

We symlink /tmp to /var/tmp on all of our servers, so my company is
obviously very interested in knowing if this represents a potential
problem, in the event that we need to reboot any of our machines
before they die of natural causes.

We would appreciate your expertise. Could you grep through the rc
scripts and tell us if /tmp is ever accessed before the local
filesystems are mounted? Our technical staff is currently in rehab for
pipe abuse, and I can't remember for the life of me how to use this
cryptic ``more'' command, let alone where I can find ``/etc/rc''.
Please take your time. You wouldn't want to reply before thinking it
through.

Please reply ASAP, because I'm going to need to know, by Monday
afternoon latest, if I need to submit a proposal, here, to immediately
rebuild our servers with larger / partitions and discontinue use of
the /var/tmp symlink, if you can confirm this to be a problem on boot.
Please include your contact information so your findings can be
properly cited in my internal proposal. I am sure your response holds
the acute attention of this list, as well.

Please advise.

Yours most sincerely,
- Ryan Thompson

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon