Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:12:46 -0000
From:      sam <samwun@hgdbroadband.com>
To:        pf4freebsd@freelists.org
Subject:   [pf4freebsd] Re: why multiple CARP groups for VoIP servers

Max Laier wrote:

>On Tuesday 17 August 2004 20:22, Max Laier wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday 17 August 2004 10:58, sam wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I need to get adviced by someone  for the usage of CARP+pfsync.
>>>With the BIG example as described in the following page:
>>>http://www.countersiege.com/doc/pfsync-carp/#big
>>>I don't understand why create a different CARP group for each
>>>application server instead of using only one CARP interface for 4
>>>internal application servers is better.
>>>
>>>With only one CARP address for 4 application servers, traffic still can
>>>be redirected to another app server if one is died. Unless one CARP
>>>address is not efficient.
>>>
>>>Can anyone please explain the difference using multiple CARP groups
>>>instead of one CARP address?
>>>

>>The example uses a "rdr source-hash" rule to load balance over the four
>>virtual addresses. You cannot use the CARP version of source-hash as the
>>clients are behind the firewalls and will not balance as a result.
>>

>Sorry, meant to say: "You cannot use the CARP arpbalance ..." with the same
>effect and (now much clearer (I hope)) reasoning. The servers will see only
>the firewall arps and not those of the clients. While they will indeed see
>the IP-Addresses, but CARP loadbalances on the arp-level. This is uses to
>loadbalance between the two firewalls, btw.

So I think the only interfaces can have CARP arpbalance is the ones
facing the Internet. Can "rdr source-hash" be used for load balancing
and HA for VoIP gateways?
There are 2 MVTS VoIP gateway servers in my office, I would like to
setup two BSD firewalls with PF+CARP+PFsync configured for load
balancing and redundency for the VoIP gateways.

thanks
sam