Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:32:26 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Ralph Huntington" <rjh@mohawk.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: security fixes

No one's tried on this yet, so I will.

comments inline

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Huntington" <rjh@mohawk.net>
To: <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 1:20 PM
Subject: security fixes

> With all the traffic surrounding these recent vulnerabilities, it's a
> little confusing to know what one has to do and need not do. Let me ask
> this one question, please:
>
> In cvsup'ing the patched sources, if I have a 4.6-RELEASE box, should I
> cvsup RELENG_4_6 and for the earlier 4.x machines cvsup RELENG_4 ???

The more I think about the question, the tricker it gets, so I
think I begin to see your point.  You'd have to look at what's
been committed to see for sure.  I don't think that you'd break
anything by doing RELENG_4_6 even on your earlier boxes,
though.  After all, you're going to make buildworld anyway...

If you cvsup the "earlier" machines to RELENG_4, they will actually
be "more up to date" than the 4.6-RELEASE box you have now, not
that I'm telling you something you don't already know, I guess.

> Or should they all get RELENG_4 ?

If you want them all to run -STABLE, yes.  Personally,
-STABLE seems pretty -STABLE right now, for me,
running mail, web, database, etc.  They say "you may
not wish to run -STABLE on production servers" so
*caveat emptor*, I guess, but I have no probs with
-STABLE  built last week.

> Thank you,  Ralph

HTH, KDK