Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 14:43:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, jim.king@mail.sstar.com, (Jordan K. Hubbard) <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Alpha port..

On 06-Jan-98 John Birrell wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> And I'm sure you're not alone in wanting to see that happen.  The
>> question here seems more to be one of who we're going to line up to
>> actually *do* that. :)
>
> Sorry, but I *still* don't see what this achieves other than further
> fragmenting an already low user-base. I've said in the past that I'd
> like to see a FreeBSD user-space on top of a NetBSD/Alpha kernel.
> I know that this is not a simple task because the kernel interface
> differs. Clean that up and you're well on the way to supporting the
> other architectures that NetBSD has too.
>
> But if people put all their effort into trying to munge the i386-centric
> low-level kernel code to run on the Alpha it will be a long time before
> you even get back to where NetBSD is at the moment. So what have you
> achieved?
>
> Another thing that needs some effort IMHO, is keeping the device driver
> interface consistent between the BSD variants so that anyone can pick up
> a driver from one and use it on another. I'd like to see someone write
> a design document that defines exactly what the device driver interface
> is. And I don't mean example code, but something you could test for
> compliance against. And if you're being adventurous, try including the
> NetBSD design in there too. But I guess that is not the sort of thing
> that hackers want to do. 8-(

Hear! Hear!  A word of sanity!!!

All these O/S not only claim to be Unix.  They claim to be BSD Unix, while
none of them can really share even source code (Yes, I know of #ifdef;
That is not a common source.  That is a single source text file).

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313