Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:55:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte Athlon motherboard

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > 	I'm considering a Gigabyte GA-71X with an AMD Athlon CPU.
> > It will run *exclusively* FreeBSD, and the dealer has said me that
> > they have observed stability problems with Windows.
> >
> > 	Does this CPU/motherboard work well with FreeBSD? I would
> > use a 500 or 700 MHz CPU.
>
> 	I've exerienced about an 8% loss on these motherboards due to
> minor power surges alone, not to mention a multitude of small problems. I
> highly suggest you go with Soltek or Asus, both work great under FreeBSD
> and Windows if now problems.

As long as we're on the subject of motherboards for FreeBSD, I'd love some
feedback on higher-end server boards with integrated SCSI and Ethernet, as
well as console redirection to the serial ports.  I've been using the
Intel L440GX+ with pretty good results, but I was wondering what else
there is, now that there are 133Mhz memory busses, etc.

up@3.am							    http://3.am