Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:43:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@tbv.se>
Cc:        Send to newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade story

> I upgraded from 2.2.8 to 4.1 today and thought I might share with some of
> you other newbies the adventures I went through.  If you will bear with me,
> a bit of background might be useful or even entertaining.

	Thanks for the pointers James! :) It was entertaining to read,
filled with lots of good information, and most importantly; On topic for
-newbies! :)

	Now, if y'all indulge me, let me tell you what I've learned this
weeked. Fatal Trap Error 12 (if I remeber the error message,) is not
always a system ram problem.
	It all started with the purchase of a 23 gig ultrawide SCSI drive
off of Ebay. It was refurbished and came with a year garuntee. It was one
of the better branded Seagate models so I figured that it's only a
workstation - not a problem.
	Lo and behold, the drive is bad! Not a problem put my old one back
in. All the sudden the system wouldn't boot. I kept getting Fatal Trap
errors, or the machine would lock up seconds after I logged in. After two
days of playing with this a new problem appeared. The computer would turn,
but nothing would show up on the screen. Ok, I figured, that along with
the memory error most likely means my motherboard is toast. Just to be
sure I tested the two 64 meg memory sticks in another computer - worked
great. (Good enough that my GF now "needs" 128 megs of RAM in her
computer... :)
	Anyways, new motherboard and new case (had to upgrade to
ATX... UHG... ) Lo and behold, the exact same problem!!! After scratching
my head and pulling hair, I started to pull the system apart. And layed my
hand upon the video card. Immediatly I burned my hand on one of the RAM
chips. The computer had been on for less then 30 seconds and the one RAM
chip was to hot to touch.
	So... replace the video card and walla! Working system... (At 16
colors because I don't have a decent video card to replace it with
yet...:)
	Anyways... I learned two lessons really... Bad RAM can include the
RAM on the video card! And I really need to get off of phone support and
back into the hands on environment, my skills are suffering.... :)

					Rick